“Tradition does not die in the ashes but is carried forward in the flames”

Royal Auxiliary Air Force Foundation

 Patron:  HRH  The  Duke  of  Gloucester

OUR HISTORY


Royal  Auxiliary Air Force Memorial Trust


In 2002, the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Memorial Trust was established as a registered charity by 4 former auxiliaries (1) with the objective of providing a Memorial dedicated to all those who had served in the Auxiliary Air Force and its successor, the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. The National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas in Staffordshire was the chosen location, and, on 25th September 2004, the Memorial was dedicated in the presence of HRH The Duke of Gloucester


(1) Group Captain Richard Mighall, Wing Commander Charles Hyde, Squadron Leaders Bruce Blanche and Tony Freeman.


Royal Auxiliary Air Force Foundation


Whilst undertaking the Memorial project, it became evident to the Trustees that, notwithstanding the Force’s distinguished past, there was no formal or centralised public record of its history, achievements, traditions or organisation from its beginnings in 1924 right up to the present day. The Trustees decided to rectify this shortcoming, but, as this embraced a wider remit than was originally envisaged for the Trust, it was considered that it would be more appropriate for the Trust to be renamed the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Foundation - a title ratified with the Charity Commission in 2010..

Since its formation, the Foundation has planned and overseen the installation of a Force Roll of Honour at the Church of St Clement Danes (2012), the introduction of this web-site (2013), the replacement of the aforementioned Force Memorial at Alrewas (2014)  and the preparation and installation of a Force pictorial display at Bentley Priory (2014).

.The Foundation was honoured when the The Duke of Gloucester became its Patron in February 2012..