“Tradition does not die in the ashes but is carried forward in the flames”

Royal Auxiliary Air Force Foundation

 Patron:  HRH  The  Duke  of  Gloucester

AUXILIARY AIR FORCE AND ROYAL AUXILIARY AIR FORCE SQUADRONS AND UNITS FROM 1924


BALLOON  SQUADRONS












Balloons over London


The Balloon Barrage was formed within the Auxiliary Air Force in 1938 and, by the outbreak of war, it numbered 16,400 personnel. .  All of the Balloon Squadrons were disbanded at the end of hostilities.


901 to 903 (County of London)

904 and 905 (County of Surrey)

906 and 907  (County of Middlesex)

908 to 910 (County of Essex)

911 to 917 (County of Warwick)

918 (County of Derby)

919 to 929 (County of Gloucester)

930 to 933 (Hampshire)

934 (County of Devon)

935 (County of Glamorgan)

936 to 938 (County of Northumberland)

939 to 941 (West Riding)

942 to 944 (East Riding)

945 to 947 (City of Glasgow)


Many of the balloon handlers were members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.