FS William Frank Webster BEM
Born: 15 May 1925, Angus, Scotland.
Died: 19 July 2005, Edinburgh, aged 80.
FS William Frank Webster (Willie) served with the RAFVR as an Air Signaller/Gunner from 1943 to 1947. Following graduation from No.4 Wireless School at RAF Madley, Yorkshire he sawactivewar service with No. 216 Squadron in North Africa and the Mediterranean flying in Douglas DC-
Demobbed in December 1947 Webster settled in Aberdeen and missing his RAFVR service in February 1953 he joined No. 612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, based at Dyce. He showed his versatility by retraining as a fitter/armourer, working on the DH Vampire FB5.
On the demise of the RAuxAF flying Squadrons in March 1957 he transferred to No. 3612 (County of Aberdeen) Fighter Control Unit and another change of trade to telegraphist. Due to work Webster and his family moved to Edinburgh so he transferred to No. 3603 (City of Edinburgh) FCU at Barnton Quarry.
Further reductions in the RAuxAF followed and the FCUs were disbanded in 1959. However, the personnel of No. 3603 (City of Edinburgh) FCUwere immediately reformed as No. 2 (City of Edinburgh) Maritime Headquarters Unit, (2MHU), to support the NATO Maritime HQ at Pitreavie Castle, Fife. He became the Senior NCO in charge of communications at 2MHU until his retirement from the RAuxAF in 1985 at the age of 60.
His long and loyal service was reflected by the award of the Air Efficiency Award (AE) and2 bars. This service and his additional stalwart work with the Earl Haig Poppy Fund, earned him the award of the British Empire Medal in March 1985.